Thursday, August 6, 2015

August 6, 2015 Micah George's 5th birthday!

And how exciting is that!  Orrin and I called him this morning, so we would catch them home, and we did!  He really is a little chatterbox, and I'm not sure that we caught everything he said, but close enough.  I told him we would bring his card and present to the lake.  In the meantime he was busy opening the package we had already left there when we were there last!  Duh, old age, you think?  Anyway, when Dan reminded me of this, of course, then I did remember it. So he had the fun of opening his gift already! Looks like they're having a good day in Bay Beach Park.  Stole this from Facebook.




 I let Teddy out after he ate this morning, and he wouldn't come back when we called. I'm not sure where he went, but when it started raining he came back in a hurry. He hates the rain. Little stinker, he will be out on the lead for a while again now. He just looked so happy! I think he was in back in the tall grass because he feet were a mess. It's just that we live next to a busy road, and we do have coyotes out back. Maybe he's getting too chunky for them?  We did go for a short walk then, but I think he was already worn out, and my legs were just tired, maybe it was the weather.  It was very humid.  It's cleared off now and Orrin is mowing lawn.

I finished the boys' cards this morning (I never got Isaiah's done) so will give them to them this next week. We can have cake and party.  Maybe an ice cream cake?


Don't show them, let it be a surprise.  

I did get some bread baked, but we ate one loaf.  LOL  I'll make some caramel rolls today yet.  And I suppose I should start packing pretty soon.  I found a new recipe for bread that I really liked and it was easy peasy.

Honey bread 
2 c. whole milk
1 1/2 tab. dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1/4 c. honey (I use local honey)
1 tea. Salt
1 stick butter, unsalted and diced
2 eggs
bread flour around 5 cups depending on the weather ( I used regular flour) 5 1/2- 5 3/4

Scald milk and put in the mixing bowl with the paddle.
Add in salt and the stick of butter, diced and allow to cool ( I mix on slow)
in a separate cup (I use the measuring cup from scalding the milk, it is warm) add in 1/4 c. water and 1 tab. of the honey, the rest you add to the milk mixture
Sprinkle the yeast on the warm water with honey and allow to activate until about 1/2 the measuring cup is full.
Meanwhile add the eggs to the cooled milk and start adding in flour. when a loose paste add in the yeast and add remaining flour until a soft dough is formed just sticking to the bottom of the bowl. Allow to mix with a dough hook for 5-7 min. (Mom always said the dough shoud be smooth like a baby’s bottom)
I knead by hand a couple of minutes longer to lighten it up and incorporate some air. Place in a bowl sprayed with non-stick and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled (about an hour) then gently deflate and fold over itself 6-8 times. Flip dough ball upside down so the folds are on the bottom and put back in bowl and rise again.
Deflate and gently form into 3 loafs and place in sprayed loaf pans. Cover again loosely with plastic and allow to rise. Preheat oven at 350 F. Brush loaves with eggwash and I like sesame or white poppy seeds (you can find them in the indian markets) I didn't do this.
Bake uncovered for 25 min until golden brown. Cover with foil and bake an additional 10-15 min. until bread reaches 200 F on a thermometer. Remove immediately from bread pans and cool on a rack.
Dark bread pans cook a bit faster and yield a darker crust all the way around. Let me know if you try this and how you like it. It is great fresh, toasted and makes a terriffic french toast bread or grilled cheese sandwich! 

I liked that I could do almost all of it in the mixer.  We had french toast with it last night and it was yummy.  

Well, if I'm going to do all that, I'd better get busy.  I have a little laundry to do too.  Have a great day and see most of you real soon!!

Hugs, Orrin, Linda and Teddy

No comments:

Post a Comment